Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Outsiders

Stay gold, Ponyboy.

A few days ago, my sister and I decided to watch The Outsiders starring Matt Dillon, Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise and the late Patrick Swayze (and others). It's based on a novel of the same name written by S.E. Hinton. I remember back when I was in year 7, my brother had to read the novel. But he couldn't be bothered so he asked me to read it instead, and I was to tell him the key points. And so I read it, and I remember loving it. Although up until I watched the movie, I couldn't really recall what had happened in the book; only that there were greasers and socs. The movie helped freshen my memory, but most of the stuff in the movie were like, new to me. So yes, I had completely forgotten the events of the book. Haha. Oh, I loved the movie as well!

I loved all of the Greasers; Ponyboy, Dallas, Two-Bit, Darrel, Sodapop... Johnny, not so much, but he almost made me cry when he wrote to Ponyboy, telling him to stay gold! Ah, it broke my heart. Sure, the movie didn't contain much; it seemed very quick and before you know it, it's over. But I loved the simplicity and the naivete of it. It wasn't as deep as it could have been, but the poem really got me. And Ponyboy read Gone With the Wind to Johnny! If that didn't have me sold, I don't know what would. For those who have seen the movie, don't you think that Cherry Valance (played Diana Lane) had looked identical to Mandy Moore? It was like watching A Walk to Remember!

Give it a go guys. You might just like it. :)

2 comments:

  1. oh man blast from the past I remember reading this in high school too! And watching the movie ... those were the days~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I read it while I was in South Sydney too. My math teacher, the mercurial one.. Mr. Karizzi was it? Well he was reading this too whenever we were doing something by ourselves. lol. I miss South Sydney, haha.

    ReplyDelete