Sunday, August 22, 2010

Wondrous Strange and Katy Perry

Extraterrestrial

Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston was my first audio-book. I still have complicated feelings on it; on the audi0-book, not the story itself. During the first half of the audio-book, I was bored. The story did nothing for me, and added with the narration (I believe it was Livingston herself!), I almost hated the whole feel of it. Wondrous Strange is not a book I would have picked up on my own. My foray into YA has mostly been for vampires and werewolves (I'm tired of them now), and Wondrous Strange is about fairies. On top of that, the book cover is ghastly! I know, I know, don't judge a book by its cover and yadayadayada, but Wondrous Strange's cover and other covers like it, well... not my thing, at all.

So, I didn't know what to expect. I only continued to listen to the audio-book because I don't like not completing things. So thus, I pushed through. And then, I don't know what happened, but I suddenly fell in love with the story! And by default, I fell in love with the world of fairies!


Yes, this book deserved a full heart from me! It's not 5 stars (the first half of the book was really, really slow), but the climax, and the ending, and how the love story turned out at the end, made me give it a 4 (and still a full heart!). I really didn't expect this. The annoying voice of the narration really outdid itself in the second half of the book. Lesley Livingston really set the mood with her voice. She really does know how to create suspense and emotion. The story wrapped itself very, very nicely. Now I'm crazy for fairies. Job well done, I say.

What does this have to do with Katy Perry, you ask? Click and find out!




Well, immediately after I finished the audio-book, E.T by Katy Perry came up in my ipod shuffle. And I was struck at how suitable it was for the relationship between Kelley (the female protagonist) and Sonny (the love interest). I mean, it's not suitable word for word; Katy Perry's E.T is like about aliens and sci-fi whilst Wondrous Strange is paranormal. BUT, the general feel of the song and well, the lyrics too (for me anyway), kinda spoke for Kelley and Sonny. Here, have a listen:



What do you think? I think it's epic.

Now I'm obsessed with fairies. If things work out according to plan, tomorrow I will be book hunting for Wicked Lovely (another fairy series), and if I'm super lucky, I'll find the sequel to Wondrous Strange, Dark Light. Oh, I'm also looking for Lord of the Fading Lands by C.L Wilson. So if you're in Jakarta, and you see it, well be sure to let me know!

Oh and the verdict on audio-books? Not my thing. I'll listen to them if books I normally don't get is available for free, but if not, I won't spend money on them, and I rather get the book than the audio. I do believe that I would have liked Wondrous Strange so much more if I had read it.

"And thy fair virtue's force perforce doth move me ... And I do love thee."

No comments:

Post a Comment