Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Thesis Approved!

Thinking of switching to non-thesis, crazy idea?

I'm on my holidays. However, today I had to go to campus for a thesis briefing (ah the stress that is the last academic year of university!) I don't have the jitters. Yet. I know I will soon. They threw a lot of information at us kids today and posted the approved thesis topics as well as the names of our respective thesis advisors. My approved topic is; "The Effect of Female Protagonists in Young Adult Fiction as Role Models for Teenage Girls." It just screams me, doesn't it? Will it be difficult, you think?

Look at me there in class, hardcore studying. Haha. Anyway, I was thinking of switching to a non-thesis. There's a possibility that I may intern at a Production House, and they specialize in making TVCs. For my non-thesis, I can make exactly that, and I was thinking, well, why not? I'll be getting first hand experience of it anyway? (IF, I get the internship, which brings me to my stressful situation of not being employed as of yet). With the non-thesis, there's a possibility of an epic failure. Should I take the risk? If it works well, however, it'll be soooo goood. So, help?

Update on Anna Karenina (spoilery, so avert your eyes if you plan to read it!); Levin is getting married to Kitty, at last! They're so endearing! And Vronksy just went abroad with Anna, with her refusing her husband's divorce! Man, she's crazy. But I really do understand where she's coming from. A difficult situation, it is. I get her aversion to her husband, and her feeling not deserving of his generosity, but does she not have a shred of sympathy for him? I understand, back then, well, I can imagine it's very hard to be in her position. But she's so selfish, it's mean.

Yes, I'm enjoying this book. Surprisingly a great amount.

Love you all!

xx

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like it would be a really interesting thesis. What books do you think you'd be reading/analyzing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twilight! hahaha (for the abusive relationship she's in, lol), the Gossip Girl series (because you just know that those girls are very bad role models) and I don't know what else. Still thinking; I haven't even met up with my thesis advisor. I'm thinking of Katniss, but not sure yet. Any ideas? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm...I think Katniss would be a good character to analyze, and along the same line would be Katsa from Graceling. I also found a very persuasive essay about the abusive relationships in Twilight, if you'd like to read that (It's actually a research paper). Do you plan on just focusing on negative role models or positive ones too? A good author to look at for positive role models would be Tamora Pierce. The majority of her main characters are female, and in my opinion, are pretty good role models for young girls. When Pierces started publishing, that was actually one of her goals. She wanted to write fantasy fiction that girls could read, enjoy, and be inspired by. She talks about it on her website: http://www.tamora-pierce.com/about.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't decided whether to have both negative and positive role models or just one of them. I'm meeting my thesis advisor next week, so I'll hold off deciding until I've discussed it with him. Tamora Pierce? Oh no, I haven't read any of her books! I'll have to pick some out the next time I go out. Any recommendations? Thanks for all the help by the way, Emi! When I start writing it, I hope you'll be prepared to answer some of my questions. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely pick her books up, especially if you like Graceling. (They're totally different authors and series, but they sort of have the same feel) And no worries, I'll be happy to help! I still have a year or so before I have to write a thesis, but I'm already thinking about it. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to start Graceling soon, I really do. Haha. But I'm making time for Mockingjay first (should be coming this week!), so I'm reading a shorter book first to kill time (Wicked Lovely, so far it has been amazing, lol).

    I'll help you with your thesis too! If I'm competent with your topic, of course. lol. Any ideas on what to do it on yet?

    ReplyDelete